N-Act is a Southend-based Theatre in Schools not-for-profit company that creates interactive theatre projects for schools.
The most recent production was Linked which was about internet safety. The company tourned to 29 schools with 31 performances.By the end of the 4-month tour the show was seen by almost 5,000 students.
GANG CRIME IN ESSEX
We are very excited to be starting our next project! We have been commissioned by Southend Police to create a production about gangs and gang related crime as part of their targeted approach to impact gang crime in Southend and Essex. The intention is to use interactive theatre to engage both young people in schools and the wider community through our live and video performances. Performances to schools and community venues start in June 2018. We are currently working with schools and community leaders to ensure the project has maximum impact!
Gang crime in Southend: did you know that:
There are 21 gangs currently existing in the Southend area.
Between May – December 2016:
- There were 94 arrests
- 18 search warrants were executed
- 20 people were charged and in custody (related to Class ‘A’ drug use)
- Since 2014 over 200 drug gang members have been identified as working in Southend. There is concrete evidence that gang members possess knives on the streets of Southend.
- 28% of perpetrators in gangs and groups are under 19 years old. There are no statistics about how many CSE (child sexual exploitation) victims are associated with gangs, but last year 2100 young people contacted ChildLine regarding CSE. 57,000 URLs contained child sexual abuse images. NSPCC research shows direct links between gangs and CSE, particularly of young girls.
This play will touch each and every one of us – just as the impact of online grooming, violence, sexual exploitation and knife crime touches each of us in some way, every day.
Would you like to work with N-Act?
- Are you interested in contributing to our research for the forthcoming Gangs project?
- Are you a local, professional actor/actress? Do you want to find out about auditioning for our next production?
- Do you want to book us at your school or community venue?
- Are you able to contribute to our funding?
- Just want to find out more…?
Facebook and Twitter – N-Act Theatre in Schools
Phone: 07546 559987