Belfairs Park and Woodland Visitor Centre - The Vision
Already regarded as the flagship green space for the area, Belfairs Nature Reserve - also known as Hadleigh Great Wood - has been managed through coppicing to create a perfect home for a diverse range of wildlife. This includes the rare heath fritillary butterfly and the success story of the dormouse. Now Essex Wildlife Trust and Southend-on-Sea Borough Council have worked in partnership to provide a fantastic woodland visitor centre for everyone to enjoy.
This important centre offers the local community a chance to get closer to nature and provide visitors with a really warm welcome. Belfairs Woodland Resource Centre offers visitors:
Wonderful Woodland Wildlife
- The chance to find out about Belfairs Park and nature reserve, how the woodland is cared for and why this ancient woodland is so important for wildlife, people and business.
- A place to learn about your local wildlife and conservation. Belfairs is an important home for Dormice and a really important habitat for Heath Fritillary butterflies.
- Experience the natural world and find out how fascinating wildlife in Southend really can be.
A Centre for You:
- Get involved in a full programme of events for all the family – a chance to find our own Essex minibeasts, learn about woodland management and try bird watching.
- A chance to recharge your batteries and get away from the hassles of everyday life
- Get healthy: it has been proven that green space is vital for people’s well-being.
- The opportunity to buy some really original gifts, cards, wildlife products and woodland crafts and timber.
- A chance to have a cup of coffee and refreshments in an environmentally friendly building, and enjoy fantastic views over the Park.
- A great place for families and friends to take a break after a walk, cycle ride or horse ride.
The chance to be involved and volunteer
- Get involved and volunteer. Support the largest conservation charity in Essex, by giving your time and making a difference to your local environment.
- Find out why our woodland products are so important for the conservation of Belfairs woodland wildlife.
- The chance to help us Protect Essex Wildlife for the Future.
See also the Healthy Life Essex article:
The Dormouse in Belfairs Nature Reserve
Essex Wildlife Trust working in partnership with Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
For more information please phone:
Louise Morris at Southend-on-Sea Borough Council on 01702 215602
Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Pictures supplied by Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
Back to the top